The Deer Camp is a social network
First, I'd like to welcome all of the new members to the site. Since I'm unable to hunt much this year because of back problems, I wish that some of you would post some kill pictures and write up the story of the hunt. For those of you that have not read some of the prior blogs, I hurt my back last year picking up one end of Big Al's new box stand. I felt it when things torn. I herniated L-5 - S-1 and tore the three above that. The latest news on that is that the doc wants to do a nerve ablation. In plain English, he wants to burn the nerve to stop the pain. I've not read up on it yet, I think I will tonight. I go to see him next week. I can't stand for long periods of time or sit still for too long, so sitting in a stand right now is not fun.
Again, welcome to all of the new folks that have signed up to the site. Remember, this is not a commercial site, just me, old Bubba trying to remember all of the years of hunting and all of the fun had at the camp after the end…Continue
To new members to The Deer Camp. Welcome and feel free to blog and post pics. I'm not here every day, this is just a social site, not a commercial site. I have ads for friends here on the pages, but they are not for making money. I'm not paid to endorse anyone.
With the deer season coming up in a month in some states and two month in others, many are scrambling to get things ready for the season. It's time to get stands up, roads cleared, bush hogging everything, and working on our camps. I fear that I won't get to hunt too much again this year since hurting my back last September. Bush hogging and lifting Big Al's deer stand put a hurting on me. I herniated one disc (L-5 and S-1) and ruptured three (L-1 and L-2, L-2 and L-3, L-4 and L-5). My biggest problem is the L-5 and S-1, the sciatica on my left side is almost unbearable. If it weren't for modern RX, I'd be horizontal. My favorite show on tv now is that "Laser Back Surgery" commercial. I dream of having the…Continue
It's been a while since I've written a blog for The Deer Camp. In September of 2014, we were gearing up for the deer season and doing our food plots. The Saturday of our work days, I spent about six hours on the tractor, discing up the food plots, when I finally turned it over to Elbis, I couldn't go anymore, my back hurt so bad. The next day, Sunday, big Al had a box stand to put up, so Big Al, Elbis, and I had to move the stand from his big trailer to my smaller trailer to get the stand into the woods. Elbis and Big Al were on one end and I was on the other. When I picked up my end, I literally felt something tear! We continued and got the stand in the woods and got the stand up. Needless to say, I was sore. A few days later I decided to put some metal roofing on our new carport, bad move again. I put three 32" x 16' pieces up and had to stop, I was hurting bad. I called my back doctor and made an appointment. I already have two herniated disc in my upper back, so I didn't have…Continue
Quite a few people have joined the site in the past three months. I hope that they will be active. I have been down for quite awhile and haven't been very diligent in posting to the site. I like to write something relevant to the time of year as it pertains to deer hunting.
I recently ruptured three disc and herniated one in my lower back. It's hard to think when you hurt as bad as I have these last few months. As of today, I'm feeling pretty darn good and I hope that I don't do anything stupid and re-injure things and have to start over again. I actually injured my back working at the deer camp this past September while discing food plots and helping put up a box stand. I was on the tractor for six hours with out stopping. The rough ground was really bad with all of the bumping up and down and crunching my back. Then the next day, I felt something rupture when we picked up the box stand to transfer it to a smaller trailer.
I've been to the camp only…Continue
Hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving! I also hope that you are headed to the deer camp after dinner with the family. To me, this is the best time of year, family and deer hunting.I will not be hunting until after Christmas. I have to have a…Continue
I usually practice all year round, except when the weather gets to bad in the later months. I shot about 100 arrows a day at different yardage. I also shot my broadheads during this time as well. I have two sights that I use so I just take one off…Continue
I'm wondering how many people look at the contents of deer's stomachs, to find out what the deer are eating. Like the CSI, it could tell you the whole story. I would bet that most has corn in our area. I know for a fact that food plots work, from…Continue
When God made the fishes of the sea, he took some of them and made some deer, so that his children could hunt and fish!
1) Man did not evolve from apes! We are still apes, look in the mirror after 3 days at the deer camp!
2) If I have to put up with your crap, you should have to put up with mine, It's called unconditional LOVE!
3) 98% of all statistics are wrong!
4) Studies show that couples have sex three time a week on average, those men that aren't, are deer hunters!
5) If you pray for something, but then still fret and worry over it, you're not really a believer!
6) Dogs are the best judge of character!
7) If you don't like your job, don't bitch, QUIT!
8) If you don't like it, you better tell Momma, or she'll keep cooking it!
9) If you voted for the Democrat, this crap is your fault!
10) Men are from Mars, women are from Uranus. (It's OK ladies, you won't be the first female I pissed off)
11) The quote, that the eyes are the window to the soul, it's true, when someone looks at you with dead eyes, you know where you stand with them. Avoid those people and don't get dragged down in to hell!
12) When you are in total darkness, it only takes a small glimmer of light for you to find your way! (Technically that's 1 lumen)
13) If there was no deer season, life would not be worth living, except for the kids and grandbabies.
14) A deer camp is a fraternity, like people, like personalities, and like humor and hopefully drink the same brand of beer and smoke good cigars!
15) Unhappy people tend to get away from what makes them unhappy or they stay unhappy!
16) Hunting is a way of life, not a hobby, build a bridge and get over it!
17) Drinking plenty of beer makes other people more interesting!
18) If your wife doesn't hunt and doesn't like you to hunt, ya probably need a new wife!
19) God made fish and then deer for men to catch and hunt. Whether fish evolved into deer is in question, but if God wanted to do it that way, he could! Matt. 19 : 26, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
20) I believe in evolution, but I believe that God made us to evolve. I think that God, being all knowing, knew how much we would screw up things, so he designed us to evolve to adjust to our screw ups. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible. Who am I to say that He would or won't design us that way! I don't presume to know what's in Gods plan for us, so I never say that God would not have designed things to evolve. He probably inspired Darwin to come up with his theory! Amen!
21) If you have to ask your wife if you can get into a hunting club, you ain't getting in, cause the answer is NO!
22) If you're a nut case going into a psychiatrist's office, you're going to still be a nut case when you come out.
23) Love will make some people do strange things and usually against their better judgment.
24) A friend told me that a beer is a sandwich in a can, he's right!
25) Deer hunt every day that you can, hopefully today, for tomorrow you may die!
26) Men should be driven away from the herd, just like young bucks after all the wanted babies are born!
27) All of those who want the government to take care of you, raise your hands! Now you pay for it!
28) No matter where you go, there you are!
29) You'll never get your share, if you don't show up!
30) I may not be the best at what I do, but the best call me sometimes for advice.
31) Bubba's Diet Plan - Don't eat so much and get off your butt and get some exercise!
32) Horizontal stripes aren't making you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat!
33) A lazy man will always invent an easier way to do any task!
34) When eating boiled crawfish, wash your hands before you pee!
35) Cutting grass and weed eating makes beer taste better.
36) Hot dogs on the grill is not a bar-b-que!
37) The past doesn't seem so bad now, the present doesn't seem to be so good, and thank God that I don't know the future.
38) Sometimes when you've reached the bottom, wait, you can still go down some more!
39) The less your lips move, the smarter you get!
40) If you sneeze, cough, hiccup, and fart at the same time, it will kill you!
41) People get finicky when they work for free!
42) Why settle for hamburger, when you have hamburger at home!
43) If you're driving down a dirt road to get home, you must live in heaven!
44) Erectile Disfunction is caused by wives.
45) You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a damn good football with it!
46) Women really believe that men can't tell the difference between a Yoplait fart and a Alpo fart.
47) Life is like a box of chocolates, full of nuts!
48) When you're young, it takes 5 years for a year to go by and when you get old, it take 5 minutes for a year to go by!
49) You learn by your mistakes, that's why I'm near genius!
50) Our heroes were always heroes to their sons, daughters and wives. Semper Fi.
51) Dogs are a good judge of character, that's why they don't like cats!
BUBBA'S DEER CAMP IRISH STEW
Serves 8 - 10 People
Peanut oil (bacon grease is good too) to saute meat.
3 lbs. Venison cut into stew meat.
2 Large onions, diced.
2 Bell peppers, diced.
2 Table Spoons minced garlic.
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand chopped carrots.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand sweet peas.
1 8 oz. can of name brand nibblet corn.
1-11/2 lbs. new potatoes, diced.
1 Box/can Swanson's beef broth.
1) Brown stew meat, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a 6 quart dutch oven, season the meat and seasonings with Tony Chachere's
2) Add all can goods, including the juice from the can.
3) Add the beef broth.
4) Add the diced potatoes.
5) Bring to a boil, the lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for an hour.
6) Serve over buttered cornbread, your recipe or Bubba's Creamy Cornbread.
7) Check the seasoning towards the end of the cooking time, you may want to add some more Tony Chachere's, you've added a lot of ingredients to the mix at this point. I check the stew several times for seasoning during cooking.
BUBBA'S CREAMY CORNBREAD
2 Pound bag of Aunt Jamima's Yellow Corn Meal.
Follow the instructions on the back of the bag, except for the milk. Substitute sour cream for the milk, then add 1 small can drained of nibblets corn and 3 table spoons of diced, mild, jalapeno peppers. You will have to add some milk to thin down the batter.
This stew is easy to cook and is great at home or at the camp. I always use name brand ingredients, the stew always taste better with better quality ingredients, I've cooked this stew hundreds of times, I know this for a fact.
You'll love the creamy cornbread, with the stew over it or on the side or both, you can't go wrong. The stew may be cooked ahead of time, like a day or two, it gets better after the first day you've cooked it.